Alerts Information Page
August 10, 2006...
Code Red for international flights to the U.S. originating in the UK: Code Orange for commerical U.S. domestic flights; Code Yellow for the U.S.
July 7, 2005...
Code Orange for metropolitan transportation and rail systems
January 18, 2005...
Code Yellow is in effect
- A tool to combat terrorism.
- Threat Conditions characterize the risk of terrorist attack. Protective Measures are the steps that will be taken by government and the private sector to reduce vulnerabilities. The DHS establishes five Threat Conditions with associated suggested Protective Measures:
- Code Red - Severe Condition
- Severe risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Assigning emergency response personnel and pre-positioning specially trained teams; Monitoring, redirecting or constraining transportation systems
- Closing public and government facilities
- Increasing or redirecting personnel to address critical emergency needs
- Code Orange - High Condition
- High risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Coordinating necessary security efforts with armed forces or law enforcement agencies
- Taking additional precaution at public events
- Preparing to work at an alternate site or with a dispersed workforce; and Restricting access to essential personnel only
- Code Yellow - Elevated Condition
- Significant risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Increasing surveillance of critical locations
- Coordinating emergency plans with nearby jurisdictions
- Assessing further refinement of Protective Measures within the context of the current threat information
- Implementing, as appropriate, contingency and emergency response plans
- Code Blue - Guarded Condition
- General risk of terrorist attack. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Checking communications with designated emergency response or command locations
- Reviewing and updating emergency response procedures
- Providing the public with necessary information.
- Code Green - Low Condition
- Low risk of terrorist attacks. The following Protective Measures may be applied:
- Refining and exercising preplanned Protective Measures
- Ensuring personnel receive training on HSAS, departmental, or agency-specific Protective Measures
- Regularly assessing facilities for vulnerabilities and taking measures to reduce them